Coconut Icing and Yellow Cake with Raisins
Author Notes: This is Evelyn Topping’s fabulous cake recipe. When we were little and gathered at our great-grandmother’s for Christmas Day lunch, all the ladies brought their best desserts. I could not wait to be lifted high enough to see all the cakes placed on top of the dryer and spy Evelyn’s cake. This made Christmas complete.
Yellow Cake with Raisins
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups flour – sifted before measuring
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ cup raisins soaked and drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 3 cake pans.
- Use about 2 tablespoons of the flour to coat the drained raisins and set aside.
- Sift remaining flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside.
- Add melted butter and vanilla to milk in measuring cup and stir.
- In large mixing bowl combine the eggs and sugar.
- To eggs/sugar, add flour mixture alternating with milk mixture.
- Add raisins.
- Divide among three cake pans. Cook for approximately 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on rack for 10 minutes then remove from pans and place cake on racks to cool completely.
- 2 packages 6 ounce fresh frozen coconut – defrosted
- 2 boxes 10x powdered sugar – use about 1 ¾ boxes
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter – melted and cooled
- Sift sugar twice then add defrosted coconut and combine.
- Add melted butter and mix.
- Can add a few drops of cream to thin out or refrigerate to firm up before icing cake.
- Ice cake.