Spiced Prune Cake and Caramel Icing
Author Notes: Spiced prune cake was always Carlile Benjamin’s birthday cake request from as far back as I can remember. The cake recipe is below and the Caramel Icing recipe can be found with the recipe called “Caramel Frosting and Chocolate Cake”.
Spiced Prune Cake
- ½ cup (2 sticks) butter – room temperature
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour – sifted before measuring
- 1 cup prune juice
- 1 cup cooked prunes – finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour 2 cake pans.
- Use approximately 2 tablespoons of the flour to coat the chopped prunes and set aside.
- Combine remaining flour, salt, soda and set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine sugar, butter and spices until fluffy – approximately 3 minutes.
- Add eggs to sugar mix, one at a time.
- Alternately add flour and prune juice to sugar mixture. Mix until smooth.
- Fold in prunes.
- Divide batter into two cake pans and bake for 20 up to 40 minutes. (Please note: original recipe says to cook for 40 minutes. I would test after 20 minutes.) Remove from oven when set.
- Place on cake racks to cool for 10 minutes. Remove cake from pans and place on racks to cool completely. Ice.