- 5 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces, plus 2 tablespoons to butter pan
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- optional: 2 cups chopped nuts – pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray an 8 inch square baking pan with cooking spray. Fold two 16-inch pieces of foil lengthwise to measure 7 inches wide. Fit one sheet in the bottom of the greased pan, pushing it into corners and up the sides of the pan with overhang. Fit second sheet in pan, perpendicular to first sheet with overhang. Butter foil.
- In medium bowl, over low heat, melt the chocolates and butter, stirring until combined. Whisk in cocoa. Remove from heat to cool.
- In separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, vanilla and salt in bowl until just combined.
- Add chocolate mixture to egg mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Add flour and stir, then add nuts and stir.
- Pour into prepared pan and cook for approximately 35 minutes or until it starts to pull away from sides of foil.
- Cool on wire rack to room temperature or for about 2 hours. Remove the brownies by using the foil overhang as handles and transfer to cutting board. Cut into 1-inch squares.