Caramel Icing & Chocolate Cake
Author Notes: This caramel icing recipe is from Victoria’s much-adored Auntie and one of several caramel recipes from her. The buttermilk, chocolate layer cake recipe is from Epicurious. The caramel icing with yellow layer cake is a favorite birthday request of our sweet Britteroo.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (not Dutch process)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- ¾ cup sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla
- 1 ½ cups well-shaken buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour 2 (9 by 2 inch) round cake pans.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt into a small bowl.
- Beat butter and sugars in separate bowl until creamy, about 3 minutes.
- Add eggs one at a time, then add melted chocolate, and vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low, add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately, mixing until just combined.
- Pour mixture in prepared pans and bake for approximately 25 minutes.
- Cool cake layers in pans on racks for 10 minutes. Invert onto racks to cool completely.
- ¾ cups unsalted butter
- ¾ cups whole milk
- 3 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (can add lemon or orange zest and juice)
- Melt butter in large sauce pan over low heat.
- Add brown sugar and milk and turn heat up to medium high.
- Simmer to 232 softball stage and remove from heat.
- Set in cold water for 5 minutes, add vanilla and beat by hand for 5 minutes until opaque.
- Let sit until firm enough to ice cake.
Notes: Can add cream to icing if it sets up too quickly. Can add orange or lemon zest after icing has cooled down for a zingy flavor. Can add orange or lemon juice to thin icing or for flavor.