Chocolate Roll Cake
Author Notes: Given to us by a treasured family friend Jeanne McClellan. Two of my very favorite men request this for their birthday – David Hayes and William Marshall.
- 6 ounces dark bittersweet chocolate
- 3 tablespoons water
- 6 large eggs, separated cold and allow to come to room temperature
- ¾ cup sugar, plus ½ cup
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 15 x 10 x 1 inch shallow baking pan and line bottom with wax paper with ends overhanging approximately 2 inches. Spray top of wax paper too.
- Mix cocoa powder with ½ cup sugar and set aside. Can be shaken together in small Tupperware container.
- Melt bittersweet chocolate in water with pinch of salt over low heat until just melted. Let cool.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and set aside.
- Beat egg yolks with ¾ cup sugar until pale and it forms ribbon with beaters – approximately 5 minutes.
- Fold in cooled, melted chocolate.
- Fold in egg whites, gently until just mixed.
- Pour batter in pan and cook approximately 10 to 15 minutes.
- Cover top of cake with damp cold towel (can be paper towels) and allow to cool at least 5 minutes, but up to four hours on counter or in frig. Remove towel, run a knife around edge of pan. Allow to cool completely.
- Sift sugar cocoa mixture over top of cake. Put wax paper over top of cake, place a baking sheet over this and invert cake onto baking sheet. Peel off wax paper on top.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup sugar or confectioners sugar
- 2 tablespoons rum or vanilla
- Whip cream, add sugar and rum until stiff. Can add zest of lemon or orange for extra flavor.
- Spread filling on cake evenly. Using the wax paper on the bottom of cake, roll the long side of the cake.
- Transfer to serving platter, seam side down. Can sprinkle platter with sugar cocoa mixture and sprinkle top of cake.
- Serve with extra whipped cream, sugar cocoa mixture. Delicious with fresh raspberries or raspberry sauce.
- Keep refrigerated.