Author Notes: Victoria makes this mostly in the summertime. She got this recipe from her mother, Ruby, who was also an excellent cook and cooked mostly without any recipes at all. The squeezing of the tomatoes to remove excess juice, boiled eggs, lemon juice and grated onion all combine to make it just perfect.
- 8 potatoes, peeled, halved, boiled (about 20 minutes) and cooled
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups celery chopped
- 2 boiled eggs
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3 cup of mayonnaise (or more depending on your taste)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cube cooked, cooled potatoes into bite-size pieces.
- Cut tomatoes like an onion, but still held together at base. Squeeze until all juice comes out. Chop juiced tomato into small chunks.
- Combine mayo with onion, lemon juice, sugar and salt & pepper. Taste for balance and add more of anything lacking.
- Separate the egg yellow from the white. Finely chop the white. Separately, crumble the yellow into smallest bits possible.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, celery, tomatoes and egg yellow & whites.
- Fold in the mayo mixture until moistened. Refrigerate.