Sweet Potato Pie
Author Notes: Victoria submitted many family recipes to the Virginia Hospitality Cook Book which published in 1975 and at least 14 of those recipes are included in the book. This delicious Sweet Potato Pie recipe was Nanny’s. When Victoria called Nanny for the recipe, Nanny had to make it and write down the measurements as she went along and then call Victoria back. This is because she had made it so often, she did not have a written recipe for it. This is a favorite of Carlile and rightly so since Nanny was his maternal grandmother.
- 1 10 inch pie shell, unbaked
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato, beaten or strained
- ¾ cup evaporated milk
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Beat together eggs, sugar and sweet potatoes.
- Add milk, butter, vanilla and salt.
- Pour into pastry shell and bake at 400 for 10 minutes. Then turn down temp to 325 degrees and cook for 30 minutes more.
- When knife inserted comes out clean, the pie is done.
- Options: can add fresh grated nutmeg and/or zest of one lemon to custard before baking.