Author Notes: Recipe given to Victoria by her Auntie, Mary Capers Beddoes Barnes. I made this recipe when I was little and forgot the flour – the flour is really important. I also made it for my dad’s mother, Eleanor, who served them at the Christmas Eve party for Pop’s family. The recipe below is copied from Auntie’s typed recipe card given to my mom – she typed many of her recipes.
Cheese Straws Recipe
- 1 pound sharp cheese (be sure to use sharp), grated
- 3 sticks butter or margarine, room temperature
- 4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon red pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoons salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grate cheese and cream with butter.
- Mix in pepper and salt.
- Gradually work in flour. Auntie’s note: I beat cheese and butter with mixer, add first two cups flour, then work in rest by hand.
- Use cookie press, using cutter NO 2 (star shape). Press out dough into strips on ungreased cookie sheets – can have several rows on one sheet.
- Bake about 10 minutes.
Optional: Can be rolled and cut with biscuit cutter.